1) We had a great time at the US Navy Band Concert! The kids and parents and I had an enlightening experience and it was wonderful sharing time with them without any business. Truly fun! Pics attached. We will do more trip when available! 🙂
2) The one unfortunate situation with the trip was that there were many students who did not show up for the US Navy band field trip and there was no communication from parents or students. For all, please have the courtesy to communicate if your plans change. Based on the math we could have gone on one bus (with a few chaperones driving) and this would have saved the band a good amount of money. In the this case, it cost us double the $$$ for this trip. This communication concept is not restricted to just trips but for all band business as it does make a difference.
3) Here is a reminder about upcoming after-school rehearsals:
March 20 (7th grade until 5pm)
March 21 (6th grade until 5pm)
March 28 (All bands until 5:30pm)
These details are also available at the band website in the calendar tab.
As stated in the band handbook, please do not call the main office to find out about rehearsals or any band business. This really ties up their time and delays their efficiency to handle pertinent business (and sometimes urgent business) to answer questions that have already been answered. They often have to call me in the middle of class to ask these questions which interrupts our learning process. For the last concert, there were 9 calls to me from the main office in one class period to ask questions about the rehearsals or the concert. Please contact me directly for any band business.
4) If anyone has pics from Zap Zone could you share them with me? Thanks! It was a great time and I would enjoy having pics to remember this event.
4) Three 8th graders and eight 7th grade students from the Discovery Middle School Band program were selected to perform in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Middle School Honor Band for 2017.
These achievement-oriented students were selected by the DSO as some of the finest student musicians in Southeast Michigan. It is an honor to perform in this prestigious group and our excited Discovery students took to the Orchestra Hall stage in Detroit on Monday evening March 13th and performed a fantastic concert!
The students received the music a few days in advance, rehearsed for eight hours, and performed the concert that night. A true Herculean effort to say the least, and the students are very proud to have represented Discovery Middle School, the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools, and the Canton community at this esteemed musical event.
The DSO’s Middle School Honor Band is an opportunity for middle school-aged musicians to rehearse and perform with renowned directors in historic Orchestra Hall. In the course of one day, students work together to learn challenging Wind Ensemble repertoire alongside Detroit Symphony Orchestra musicians, before performing the same evening for family, friends, Michigan music educators, and the public.
Congratulations to these wonderful student musicians and to their proud families!
6th and 7th graders, I hope you will consider participating in this event next year. See you all at the concert!
Mr. Marc Whitlock
Band Director, Discovery Middle School