Watch Amy, a French horn player, go through her practice session in this video:
Each time you sit down to practice, remember to:
- Be organized: Work in the same space with a good chair, a music stand, and metronome. Have your book, music sheets, and class notes. Make sure your instrument is in good working order.
- Set goals: For example: “I want to learn the Ab scale,” or “I want to be able to play from measure 20-30 in this song.”
- Know how to practice: Go through the Exercises and Self-Guided Listening Questions for your type of instrument:
In addition, throughout the practice, remember to:
- Listen: Grade yourself carefully and honestly.
- Concentrate: Stay focused on each part of the practice. Remove distractions.
- Slow down: Playing through a song quickly just to get it done will not make you better. And worse: Mistakes that are not fixed will become bad habits.
- Be patient with yourself. It takes time. Remember: When you practice carefully and regularly, you will become a great musician.
Perfect practice makes perfect!
NEXT >> How to Practice Scales